Some useful tips about nail care
Diet & Hydration
- Similar to skincare, where it is important to keep your body hydrated, it is also important to drink plenty of water to maintain healthy nails.
- The color of your finger nails also tells you about your general health.
- It is always good to keep your hands and fingers moisturized by using cuticle cream or cuticle oil, especially after your hands come in contact with water.
- We all know that a good diet with balance nutrition contributes to good health.
- Research has indicated that a diet in rich protein and iron are important to promote healthy nails.
- Biotin, a water soluble vitamin B, may help strengthen nails.
General Tips for Strengthening Nails
Generally thin, brittle and weak nails tend to split and crack easily. Here’s some tips to help you prevent these occurrence.
What You Should Do
- Keep your finger nails short since longer nails are more brittle.
- Apply regular nail lacquer since it acts as a protectant and enhances moisture.
- It is important to ensure that the formulation does not contain toluene, formaldehyde, dibutyl phthalate and camphor.
- It is also important to apply nail treatment products which contains protein and silica.
- You need to avoid products that tend to dehydrate nails, e.g.; acetone-based nail lacquers.
- It is always good to wear gloves when your hands and nails come in contact with harsh household cleansing liquids.
What You Should Not Do
- Most of us have gone through life biting our nails or peeling our cuticles. So remember, not to bite your nails or peer your cuticles.
- When you are trimming your nails, it is always advisable to soak your nails in a soapy solution before trimming your nails. This additional step soften your nails, which can help prevent cracking and splitting.
- It is recommended that you use a nail file instead of nail clippers. But if you prefer to use nail clippers, make sure they are perpendicular to the nail plate to avoid layering.